- Heart Conditions
- Heart Treatments
- Obstructive Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Management
- Personalised External Aortic Root Support
- Electrophysiology Testing for Arrhythmias
- Cardiac Ablation
- Cardiac Catheterisation (Coronary Angiogram)
- Coronary Angioplasty (Coronary Stenting)
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting (CABG)
- Renal Denervation for Hypertension
- Advanced Therapies to Treat Heart Failure
- Permanent Pacemakers and Implantable Defibrillators (ICDs)
- Valve Repair or Replacement (Mitral Valve Surgery & TAVI)
- Ventricular Assist Device (VAD)
- Heart Scans and Tests
- Imaging Services
- Lung Conditions
- Lung Treatments
- Diagnostic Services
A second opinion can bring peace of mind and help you better understand your diagnosis and your full range of treatment options.
Although most people feel that their doctor has planned the best treatment for them, some people may want a second opinion.
- You may be unsure about your diagnosis
- You may not be happy with your recommended treatment plan
- You may not understand the information given to you
- You feel that your case requires someone with more specialised experience
- You are considering treatment overseas and want to understand your options
Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals are offering access to the expert medical opinions of their consultants via an online consultation service. Simply register for our service and follow the directions to contact our team for your piece of mind. We are here to help.
How to request a Second Opinion
Register your interest by completing the short form below. As part of registering your interest you may request the consultant you are interested in contacting or our team will recommend the consultant most suited to your case. We will contact you to confirm your second opinion consultant and the total cost before any payment is made.
Once you have submitted your request and any files are uploaded, we will contact you to confirm your consultant and any final costs before requesting you make payment via telephone.
Once payment is received our medical team will get back to you within five working days with a complete report via email, followed by a physical copy of the report and receipt of payment via post.
Costs may vary depending on consultant. Upon responding to your enquiry we will let you know whether your preferred consultant is available and what the price of the second opinion would be. Prices start from £199.
A sample of our second opinion report can be found here.
- What is second opinion?
Second opinion is when you ask a doctor for their opinion on your diagnosis or treatment.
- Do you need a second opinion?
Before asking for a second opinion, it’s worth getting your doctor to go over your diagnosis and answer any questions you have. If you are unhappy with your diagnosis or would like to consider a different course of treatment, discuss this with them. In many cases you may not need to have a second opinion.
- Who can ask for a second opinion?
If a family member or carer requests a second opinion on your behalf, they must have your consent, and they should have all the information about your condition. A doctor may also ask if it is a complicated case and they want the advice of someone specialising in that area.
- Can I choose who will give me the second opinion?
You will need to supply a thorough description of your case including why you wish to get a second opinion. Include details about your symptoms, diagnosis, medication and treatments. Please also mention any other illnesses or conditions you have. If you have specific questions please ensure you clearly state them in the box “What would you like to ask our specialist?”
- What if my images are poor quality?
If your images are low resolution and poor quality, the consultant may be unable to provide you with a second opinion report. Please contact us at email@example.com to find out if your images are suitable. You may be recommended to repeat the imaging procedures in order to obtain higher quality images to be sent to the consultant.
- How much does a Second Opinion cost?
The cost of a standard Royal Brompton & Harefield Specialist Care second opinion ranges between £199-299 depending on consultant fees, providing you with a complete report via email. Specialised pathology reporting for CT-Scans or Cardiac MRI will cost an additional £100.
- Will my insurance cover the cost of a second opinion?
At this time most health plans do not cover second opinions. However, please check with your private medical insurance provider and investigate your insurance company’s requirements. We are happy to assist you with any questions you have about our services.
- How long will it take to get my medical report?
Turnaround time from submission of full medical report and information is approximately 5 business days from receipt of records and payment. Our team may contact you if the process will take longer due to a particularly complex case.
- What type of information can I expect from the consultation report?
Click here to see a sample consultation report.
- Full terms and conditions
Click here to download the general conditions for second opinion services.
Lung cancer patient Ivor Miller, 72, shares his experience of obtaining a second opinion after being told that nothing could be done to remove his tumour.
Read More >>
Royal Brompton patient, Mr David Busby, 66 and a father of two, describes his journey through lung laser surgery.
Read More >>
Katherine, 31, got a second opinion at RB&HH allowing her to have her baby at full term before receiving treatment for her lung tumour.
Read More >>
Keep a Healthy Heart
Heart disease is the UK's biggest killer. Often present without symptoms, the first 'sign' can be a heart attack.