Benefits of a second opinion
A second opinion can bring peace of mind. It can help you to understand your diagnosis and your full range of treatment options.
Although most people feel that their doctor has planned the best treatment for them, some people may want a second opinion.
- Are you unsure about your diagnosis?
- Are you not happy with your current treatment plan?
- Do you not understand the information given to you?
- Do you feel that your case requires someone with more specialised experience?
- Are you considering treatment overseas and want to understand your options?
If any of these ring true for you, then contact us here at Royal Brompton & Harefield Hospitals Specialist Care, as we'd be pleased to help you.
How to get a second opinion
You can access the expert medical opinion of our consultants via our online consultation service. A sample of our second opinion report can be found here.
Simply follow these steps:
- Choose a consultant: If you would like to request a particular consultant for your second opinion, please view our consultant directory to see our wide range of experts. We can also recommend a consultant who suits your case.
- Contact us: To register your interest, click here to contact us.
- Send further details: We will send you a second opinion request form to complete and return to us.
- Get a quote: We will contact you to confirm your second opinion consultant and the total cost.
- Pay: If you'd like to go ahead, please arrange payment for the second opinion.
- Receive second opinion: Once payment is received, our customer services team will get back to you within five working days with your second opinion. The report is first sent by email, followed by a physical copy of the report and receipt of payment via post.
The price of a second opinion can vary between consultants. When we respond to your enquiry, we will let you know whether your preferred consultant is available and how much it will cost. Prices start from £199.
Please read the frequently asked questions (FAQs) to find out more:
Before asking for a second opinion, it’s worth getting your doctor to go over your diagnosis and answer any questions you have. If you are unhappy with your diagnosis or would like to consider a different course of treatment, discuss this with them. In many cases, you may not need to have a second opinion.
If a family member or carer requests a second opinion on your behalf, they must have your consent, and they should have all the information about your condition. A doctor may also ask if it is a complicated case and they want the advice of someone specialising in that area.
You will need to supply a thorough description of your case including why you wish to get a second opinion. Include details about your symptoms, diagnosis, medication and treatments. Please also mention any other illnesses or conditions you have.
If your images are low resolution and poor quality, the consultant may be unable to provide you with a second opinion report. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to find out if your images are suitable. You may be recommended to repeat the imaging procedures in order to obtain higher quality images to be sent to the consultant.
The cost of a standard second opinion from a consultant at RB&HH Specialist Care ranges between £199-£299, depending on consultant fees. You will be provided with a complete report via email. Specialised pathology reporting for CT scans or Cardiac MRI will cost an additional £100.
At this time, most private medical insurance plans do not cover second opinions.
However, please check with your private medical insurance provider and investigate your insurance company’s requirements. We are happy to assist you with any questions you have about our services.
The turnaround time is normally five business days, from when we receive your records and payment until you are sent your full second opinion medical report and information.
If it is a particularly complex case, our customer services team may contact you if the process will take longer.