Dr Ali Vazir
Consultant in cardiology and critical care
Dr Ali Vazir studied at Imperial College London and won multiple awards and prizes. He was awarded his PhD from the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
He completed his Cardiology, General Internal Medicine and Acute Cardiac Care training in London, at Royal Brompton, Harefield, St Mary’s and King’s College hospitals.
Following this, he attained his post-doctoral senior research fellowship at Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard Medical School, USA.
Dr Vazir has worked on clinical trials of novel drugs and therapies for heart failure and cardiovascular disease, as well as researching novel echocardiography techniques.
Dr Ali Vazir is a specialist across a number of areas of cardiology:
- heart failure
- valvular heart disease (mitral, aortic, tricuspid valve disease)
- echocardiography (in particular 3D trans-oesophageal echocardiography for procedures)
- trans-catheter valve intervention such as MitraClip
- cardiac surgery
- peri-operative care and high dependency critical care
- sleep disordered breathing
Research and publications
Dr Ali Vazir has presented, lectured and chaired at numerous national, European and American meetings.
He has also received investigator awards for his research from eminent organisations:
- European Respiratory Society
- Heart Failure Association of the European Society of Cardiology.
Furthermore, Dr Vazir’s work in the field of heart failure, sleep apnoea, cardiopulmonary exercise testing, acute cardiology and echocardiography has been published extensively in high impact international peer reviewed journals; such as:
- The European Heart Journal
- The Journal of the American College of Cardiology
- European Journal of Heart Failure
- European Respiratory Journal
- International Journal of Cardiology.
Dr Vazir is also Associate Editor of ESC Heart Failure, a journal from the European Society of Cardiology.