Professor Andrew Menzies-Gow
Consultant in Respiratory Medicine
Professor Andrew Menzies-Gow graduated with a degree in medicine in 1994 and began working at St George’s Hospital in Tooting. During his training as a junior doctor, he had the opportunity to work with chest physicians who inspired him to follow a career in respiratory medicine.
He trained at Royal Brompton Hospital and completed a PhD at Imperial College London’s National Heart and Lung Institute, which nurtured his interest in patients with severe asthma.
Professor Menzies-Gow has been a respiratory consultant at Royal Brompton Hospital since 2007. He is a consultant in respiratory medicine and director of the lung division at Royal Brompton Hospital. He is also the Trust’s deputy medical director.
Professor Andrew Menzies-Gow is a consultant in respiratory medicine with a particular interest in patients with severe asthma or asthma that is difficult to control.
His team specialises in the diagnosis and management of patients with difficult-to-control asthma, who have been sent for a tertiary or second opinion from their local hospital. He also specialises in eosinophilic lung disease.
He is an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College and chair of the NICE guidelines development group for asthma: diagnosis and monitoring and was appointed director of the Trust’s lung division in October 2014.
Professor Menzies-Gow’s research interests include:
- the mechanisms of severe asthma
- novel therapies for asthma
- the role of the eosinophil in allergic inflammation.
Professor Menzies-Gow aims is to improve the quality of life for patients with difficult asthma by providing a first-class diagnostic and treatment service.
Professor Menzies-Gow regularly lectures on Anti-IgE therapy, severe asthma and eosinophilic lung disease.
He has lectured at:
- British Thoracic Society (BTS)
- winter meeting
- summer meeting
- rare lung disease short course
- basic and clinical allergy course
- European Respiratory Society meeting
- Nordic Lung conference
- British Society of Allergy and Clinical Immunology
- Respiratory Medicine update for general practitioners.
- European Respiratory Society annual conference in Vienna.
- Member of the Respiratory Clinical Reference Group for specialist commissioning and leading on commissioning of severe asthma services across England
- Member of the British Thoracic Society Asthma Standards and Advisory Group
- Founding member of the BTS severe asthma network, which publishes regularly on severe asthma.