Professor Giovanni Di SalvoMD PhD MSc FESC
Professor Giovanni Di Salvo is a consultant cardiologist who treats private and NHS patients at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Professor Di Salvo qualified in 1996 from the University of Naples Federico II, Italy, having completed his final year of training at Timone Hospital in Marseille, France. He received his master’s degree in medical imaging in 2002 at the Catholic University of Leuven, Belgium. Following that, he gained his PhD in cardio-respiratory physiopathology and associated biotechnologies in 2004.
He was previously a consultant at the King Faisal Specialist Hospital and Research Centre in Saudi Arabia.
In 2016, Professor Di Salvo joined Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals as a lead consultant in paediatric echocardiography. In July 2017, Professor Di Salvo became the lead for paediatric cardiology research at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Professor Giovanni Di Salvo is an expert in non-invasive paediatric cardiology. He is at the forefront of developments in echocardiography, specialising in:
- echocardiography (intraoperative and interventional)
- 3D echocardiography
- stress echocardiography
- speckle tracking
- transoesophageal echocardiography
- paediatric and neonatal echocardiography.
He treats various conditions, including:
- congenital heart disease
- atrial septal defect (ASD)
- ventricular septal defect (VSD)
- patent ductus arteriosus (PDA)
- atrioventricular septal defect (AVSD)
- Tetralogy of Fallot (TOF)
- transposition of the great arteries (TGA)
- double outlet right ventricle (DORV)
- univentricular heart
- heart failure
- cardiac function in chemotherapy patients
- hypertension in paediatrics and young adults
- cardiac murmur
- complex congenital heart disease
- structural heart disease; valvular heart disease.
Professor Di Salvo has an academic interest in cardiac mechanics, advanced echo modalities and congenital heart disease. His research interests include:
- structural and congenital heart disease
- cardiac mechanics
- atrial function
- congestive heart failure
- infectious endocarditis
- advanced echo modalities.
He was the winner of the Young Researcher of the European Society of Echocardiography in 2006. In 2010, he won the Best Original Article Young Researcher Award for the Italian Society of Paediatric Cardiology.
Professor Giovanni Di Salvo has published over 200 research papers on congenital heart disease in peer-reviewed journals including Circulation, Journal of the American College of Cardiology (JACC) and the European Heart Journal, amongst others.
He has been a speaker and moderator at a number of prestigious international congresses, including:
- World Congress of Paediatric Cardiology
- European Society of Cardiology
- European Society of Paediatric Cardiology
- European Society of Echocardiography
- American Society of Echocardiography.
Professor Di Salvo is on the council of the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACVI) and co-chair of the accreditation committee in transthoracic echocardiography.
He is a liaison officer for the European Association of Cardiovascular Imaging (EACI), which is part of the European Society of Cardiology. He is also co-chair for EACI’s scientific program on congenital heart disease.
Professor Giovanni Di Salvo is an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London and a visiting professor at the University of Padua, and Magna Græcia University in Italy.
He has also held professorships at Al Faisal University in Saudi Arabia, and at the University of Naples Federico II in Italy.
English, Italian, French.