Dr John ForanMBBS FRSM FACA FASCAI FRCP FESC
Dr John Foran is a consultant cardiologist at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals where he treats private and NHS patients.
He qualified in medicine at St George’s, University of London, in 1988.
He has specialist training in cardiovascular medicine, and both adult and paediatric cardiology. This training incorporated time at a number of tertiary centres, including:
- Brook General Hospital
- St George’s Hospital
- Great Ormond Street Hospital for Children
- King’s College Hospital
- Manchester Heart Centre.
He completed his specialist training in 1999 and undertook his first consultant post in 2000.
Dr John Foran has specialist expertise in a range of interventional techniques:
- percutaneous coronary intervention
- device implantation
- stent implantation
- catheter ablation
- coronary angioplasty
- left atrial appendage closure techniques.
He is experienced in managing heart rate and rhythm disorders, and structural heart disease.
Dr John Foran’s academic research is clinically orientated and focuses on:
- new and emerging therapies to prevent embolic and haemorrhagic stroke in high-risk patients with atrial fibrillation
- interventional techniques to improve patient outcomes following percutaneous coronary stent implantation
- emerging interventional treatments for patients with resistant hypertension.
In 2003, Dr Foran pioneered left atrial appendage occlusions – a keyhole interventional technique used for stroke prevention in patients with high-risk atrial fibrillation. He now has 15 years of experience in this field.
Dr John Foran has contributed to two medical textbooks:
- Thoracic surgery chapter in Cardiothoracic Critical care, Levy et al, 2007.
- ‘Principles and Practice of thoracic anaesthesia’ in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, 2011.
Dr John Foran regularly travels internationally to speak at conferences.