Dr Michael RigbyMB ChB FRCP FRCPCH MD
Consultant paediatric cardiologist
Dr Michael Rigby is a consultant paediatric cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital who treats private and NHS patients.
He trained at Killingbeck Hospital in Leeds, Birmingham Children’s Hospital, John Radcliffe Hospital in Oxford and the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada.
Dr Michael Rigby has a special interest in interventional catheterisation in congenital heart disease in children and young adults.
His clinical expertise includes:
- percutaneous device closure of atrial septal defects (ASD) and ventricular septal defects (VSD)
- stenting procedures for aortic coarctation, pulmonary arterial and venous stenosis
- cutting balloon dilatation of pulmonary vein stenosis
- pulmonary valve implantation with Melody and Edwards valves.
Dr Michael Rigby is interested in research concerning:
- interventional cardiac catheterisation in congenital heart disease
- closure of ASD, VSD and PDA
- balloon valvuloplasty, angioplasty and stenting of coarctation
- stent and valve implantation
- embolisation procedures
- miscellaneous uncommon and rare procedures.
Dr Michael Rigby runs annual courses of echocardiography in congenital heart disease and neonatal and infant heart disease.
He has lectured and taught in many countries across Europe, the USA, Asia and the Middle East.
He also arranged seminars and meetings in the UK and teaches international students at the Trust.
He has been involved with many international conferences during his career where he delivered lectures and contributed to post graduate training, including:
- course director of Fetal Echocardiography, 19th World Congress in Obstetrics and Gynecology in Hamburg, Germany (September 2009)
- member of the international faculty, Cardiology Symposium at the University of Pernambuco in Recife, Brazil
- visiting professor paediatric cardiology at the University of Salvador in Bahia, Brazil (October 2009).
In 2010, he was a faculty member of the Brazillian Society for Pediatric Cardiology and the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery. He was a faculty member of the European Society of Cardiothoracic Surgery and a guest lecturer at the Aarhus University, Denmark in 2011.
In 2012, Dr Rigby was a guest lecturer at the Academic Centre, Amsterdam, the Brazilian Society for Cardiology, the University of Aalbod Denmark and the Nordic Pediatric Cardiology meeting, Gotheburg, Sweden.
In 2016, he was guest lecturer and faculty member of the Brazilian Societies of Paediatric Cardiology and Adult Congenital Heart Disease in Belo Horizonte.
Dr Michael Rigby has published many papers on congenital heart disease and authored a number of books including:
- Paediatric Cardiology (Churchill Livingstone, 2010)
- Echocardiography in Congenital Heart Disease Made Simple (Imperial College Press, 2005)
- Colour Atlas of Congenital Heart Disease (Mosby – Wolf, 1995)
- The diagnosis of congenital heart disease (Castle House, 1985)
His latest book, Pediatric Heart Disease: A practical guide, written and edited with Professor Piers Daubeney and Professor Michael Gatzoulis, has been very popular around the world.