Professor Pallav ShahMBBS MD FRCP
Consultant physician in respiratory medicine
Professor Pallav Shah studied medicine at Guy’s Hospital Medical School (now part of King’s College London) and qualified in 1989. He completed his specialist training in respiratory medicine at the Royal Brompton Hospital, St Mary’s Hospital (part of Imperial College Healthcare) and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.
For nearly 20 years, he has worked as a consultant physician at Royal Brompton Hospital, where he treats both NHS and private patients.
Dedicated to improving standards of care for patients, Professor Pallav Shah serves on national and global guideline groups. He is specialist adviser to the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NICE). He is a member of the Cardiovascular, Diabetes, Renal, Respiratory and Allergy Expert Advisory Group for the Commission on Human Medicines, which advises ministers on the safety, efficacy and quality of medicinal products.
Professor Pallav Shah leads the lung cancer and bronchoscopy service for both the Royal Brompton Hospital and the nearby Chelsea and Westminster Hospital.
He is experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of all aspects of respiratory diseases such as:
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- chronic bronchitis
- lung cancer.
Renowned for interventional bronchoscopy and applying it to respiratory medicine, Professor Pallav Shah has pioneered a number of novel procedures for treating lung diseases. For example:
- bronchial thermoplasty to treat asthma
- lung volume reduction to treat severe emphysema, using endobronchial valves, umbrella-like devices, coils and stents
He offers new treatments for COPD and chronic bronchitis, to significantly improve associated symptoms such as inflammation and mucus production. Treatments include:
- vapour therapy
- targeted nerve ablation
- RejuvenAir® procedure, which uses liquid nitrogen to freeze the surface cells – the airway epithelium – allowing the epithelium to regenerate.
When it comes to treating lung cancer, Professor Pallav Shah offers a range of procedures including:
- diathermy (using heat) and cryotherapy (using low temperatures)
- inserting gold markers to enable treatment with the CyberKnife® – a fully robotic radiation delivery system to treat tumours
- endobronchial ultrasound for lung cancer diagnosis and staging, which Professor Shah was involved in the developing.
Professor Pallav Shah is active in both the research and development of new treatments.
Professor Pallav Shah has published over 200 papers and several books. He has authored and been sectional editor for important textbooks such as Gray’s Anatomy and the Oxford Textbook of Medicine.
Professor Pallav Shah is a professor at Imperial College London.
Furthermore, he runs an interventional bronchoscopy course aimed at training other specialists in some of the new and evolving bronchoscopic treatments.