Dr Peter GeorgeMBBS BSc MRCP PhD
Consultant Respiratory Physician
Dr Peter George studied at Imperial College London and received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS) in 2005.
After that, Dr George trained in respiratory and general medicine at the most prestigious centres in London. He completed his specialist training in interstitial lung disease at Hammersmith and Royal Brompton hospitals in London and at the National Jewish Health Hospital in Denver, Colorado, USA.
In 2009, Dr George was awarded an academic clinical fellowship in respiratory medicine at Imperial College London. With funding from the Medical Research Council, Dr George completed his PhD on the role of the immune system in pulmonary inflammation.
Dr Peter George is a consultant respiratory physician at Royal Brompton Hospital. He is experienced in managing all respiratory conditions, with specialist expertise in interstitial lung diseases including:
- idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis (IPF)
- hypersensitivity pneumonitis
- lung diseases due to scleroderma and rheumatoid arthritis
- smoking related lung diseases.
Dr George is actively involved in research – he recruits patients to clinical trials of emerging and novel treatments for interstitial lung disease. He is an honorary senior lecturer at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
Dr George has published numerous papers and chapters on his subjects of expertise, including in the journals:
- Lancet Respiratory Medicine
- New England Journal of Medicine
- Pulmonary Pharmacology and Therapeutics
- American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine
- European Respiratory Journal
- British Medical Journal.
Dr George has an active teaching role within Imperial College where he regularly lectures to undergraduate and postgraduate students. He also supervises and mentors junior doctors at all stages of their training within the Royal Brompton Hospital.
On a regular basis, Dr George organises and teaches on educational courses for hospital doctors and GPs on all topics in Respiratory Medicine. He has also been the course director for a number of international preceptorships on the topic of interstitial lung disease.
Dr George is a member of:
- The British Thoracic Society – he is part of the specialist advisory group for interstitial lung disease.
- European Respiratory Society
- American Thoracic Society