Professor Robert WilsonMD FRCP
Consultant physician in respiratory medicine
Professor Robert Wilson is a consultant physician in respiratory medicine who treats private and NHS patients at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
Professor Robert Wilson qualified in medicine in 1979.
He qualified in medicine in 1979 and became a consultant at Royal Brompton Hospital in 1989. He was clinical director of the Lung Division at both Brompton and Harefield for many years until 2014. During this time, he implemented many improvements in patient care. These include:
- expanding the minimal dependency assessment unit
- moving to single beds on the infection ward
- building a new bronchoscopy suite
- developing the role of nurse practitioners.
His most recent role is the clinical lead of the host defence unit at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Professor Robert Wilson is an expert in all types of lung infection. His areas of expertise include:
- investigating the body’s defences against lung infections
- primary ciliary dyskinesia
- primary immunodeficiency
- non-tuberculous mycobacteria infections
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- antibiotic trials.
Professor Robert Wilson has written more than 150 peer-reviewed papers and review articles. He has also written several book chapters for various publications.
Professor Robert Wilson is a professor of practice (respiratory medicine) at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
He has lectured for the British and European Thoracic societies, as well as others. In addition, he has travelled the world on lecture tours, visiting China, Mexico and South Africa amongst others. Several pharmaceutical companies also use Professor Wilson as a consultant.