Dr Samuel KempMBBS MD MRCP
Consultant respiratory physician
Dr Samuel Kemp is a consultant respiratory physician, based at Royal Brompton Hospital, who treats both NHS and private patients.
He studied medicine at Imperial College London and qualified in 2001. Following this, he completed postgraduate research on bronchoscopic lung volume reduction in severe emphysema. He studied this at Royal Brompton Hospital, and was awarded an MD for it.
Afterwards, Dr Kemp started working as a consultant physician in the East Midlands. He set up an interventional bronchoscopy service at King’s Mill Hospital, including lung volume reduction, airway debulking, and endobronchial ultrasound (for mediastinal lymph nodes and peripheral nodules), and a new bronchiectasis clinical service. He was also the director of research and innovation at the hospital.
Dr Kemp returned to Royal Brompton Hospital in 2015.
Dr Samuel Kemp is a consultant respiratory physician with a special interest in:
- lung cancer
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
- interventional bronchoscopy.
Further clinical interests include:
- severe emphysema
- cancer and lung nodules
- pleural disease
- interventional pulmonology.
He treats patients with undifferentiated first presentations of respiratory disease. Symptoms may include undiagnosed cough, breathlessness, sputum production, coughing up blood, and wheezing.
There are a range of treatments that Dr Kemp oversees with his patients, such as:
- endobronchial valves, endobronchial coils, bronchoscopic thermal vapour ablation – for severe emphysema
- bronchial thermoplasty – for severe asthma
- electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy – for nodules
- transbronchial cryobiopsies – for diagnosis of interstitial lung diseases
- airway debulking and dilatation.
Dr Samuel Kemp’s research focus is on developing new advanced bronchoscopic techniques that will help to diagnose and treat lung cancer.
He is also looking for new interventions for severe emphysema (including lung volume reduction therapies) and airways disease.
In addition, Dr Kemp is interested in respiratory physiology, including diving medicine.
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- American Thoracic Society
- World Association for Bronchology and Interventional Pulmonology
- Royal College of Physicians