Dr Simon DaviesMA MBBS FRCP
Consultant interventional cardiologist
Dr Simon Davies is a consultant interventional cardiologist who treats private and NHS patients at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Dr Davies trained in Cambridge and London, before joining Royal Brompton Hospital in 1994. He is:
- lead clinician for percutaneous coronary intervention (PCI)
- director of the transcatheter aortic valve intervention (TAVI) programme
- lead interventional cardiologist for the extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO) programme
- national lead cardiologist for Refsum’s disease.
Dr Simon Davies has a wide range of clinical interests and expertise, including:
- non-invasive coronary testing
- complex PCI and biodegradable stents
- septal ablation of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
- retrieval of intracardiac foreign bodies
- mechanical circulatory support, including impella, balloon pumps, and ECMO.
Dr Davies also has a key interest in cardio-oncology and has worked closely with his oncology, surgical, anaesthetic and intensive care colleagues at Royal Marsden Hospital for over 20 years. His interests in this field include:
- Cardiovascular assessment of oncology patients before surgery, chemotherapy or radiotherapy to check their fitness levels and treat any cardiovascular condition that might interfere with their cancer treatment.
- Assessment of any cardiovascular side-effects of cancer treatments. For example, some medications can raise the patients blood pressure and others can affect the heart muscle.
- When necessary to stent narrowed coronary arteries and to drain any collection of fluid around the heart.
Dr Simon Davies has published extensively on many clinical aspects of cardiology, including:
- PCI and stenting
- platelet biology
- free radicals and reperfusion injury
- pulmonary microvascular permeability
- ventilatory changes in heart failure
- exercise capacity and quality of life
- patient safety in a cardiac catheter laboratory.
Dr Simon Davies is an honorary senior lecturer at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London. He is regularly invited to lecture at cardiology and cardiac surgical conferences on an international scale, and has been awarded a number of research and academic prizes.
- British Cardiac Society
- British Cardiovascular Intervention Society
- Acute Cardiovascular Care Association