Dr Stuart RosenMA MD FRCP FESC FACC
Dr Stuart Rosen is a consultant cardiologist at Royal Brompton Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
Dr Rosen received his medical undergraduate education at Pembroke College, Cambridge and at Charing Cross and Westminster Medical School. His specialist cardiology training was at Charing Cross, Hammersmith and St Mary’s hospitals.
Dr Stuart Rosen is a general adult cardiologist. He has specialist expertise in heart failure, syncope and difficult hypertension.
His technical skills include:
- transoesophageal echocardiography
- stress echo
- tilt testing and autonomic assessment
- ultrafiltration for decompensated heart failure.
Dr Rosen set up the UK’s first cardio-oncology unit at Royal Brompton Hospital with Dr Alexander Lyon and Dr Rakesh Sharma. The unit provides bespoke care for patients at risk of cardiotoxicity or who have developed cardiac problems as a consequence of their anti-cancer treatment.
Dr Stuart Rosen has spent several years in cardiovascular research, funded by the Medical Research Council and the British Heart Foundation. His programme of translational research is focused on the:
- mechanisms of heart injury in cancer patients
- effect of alcohol excess on heart function
- role of cardiac autonomic dysfunction in pathophysiology of cardiac disease
- origins of cardiac pain (he is a member of an international task force on complex cardiac pain syndromes)
Dr Stuart Rosen has written more than 60 peer-reviewed papers, plus review articles, editorials, abstracts, and eight book chapters.
He authored the book Cardiology: self assessment colour review of cardiology published by CRC Press.
Dr Rosen is a reader in cardiology at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London. He has twice been awarded a prize for excellence in clinical teaching by the faculty of medicine. Dr Rosen has extensive teaching commitments in medicine, cardiology, ethics and law for medical undergraduates. He supervises postgraduate, MD and PhD students.
He has certification from the Royal College of Physicians of London as a physician educator. At Ealing Hospital, Dr Rosen set up and directs the nationally acclaimed Hands-On Echo Course.
Furthermore, Dr Rosen is a regular speaker at national and international meetings, where he speaks on topics such as cardiac pain, heart failure and neurocardiology.
He is a fellow of the:
- Royal College of Physicians
- American College of Cardiology
- European Society of Cardiology (ESC)
- Heart Failure Association of the ESC.
He is a member of the ESC working group on myocardial function.
Dr Rosen is also a member of the:
- British Cardiovascular Society (BCS)
- British Society of Heart Failure
- International Cardio-Oncology Society.