Professor Susanna PriceMBBS BSc FRCP EDICM PhD FFICM FESC
Consultant cardiologist and intensivist
Professor Susanna Price is consultant cardiologist and intensivist at Royal Brompton Hospital where she treats private and NHS patients.
She trained at King’s College London, and continued training in cardiology and intensive care medicine at St Thomas’, St George’s and Royal Brompton hospitals, London. During her cardiology training, she undertook a fellowship in echocardiography under Professor Jos Roelandt at the Thoraxcenter, Erasmus MC, in the Netherlands.
She was awarded a PhD from Imperial College London.
On completion of her training, she was awarded the British Heart Foundation Jill Dando GUCH fellowship, allowing her to train for a further two years in imaging and management of critically ill grown-up congenital heart disease (GUCH) patients.
Professor Susanna Price is the clinical lead for critical care at Royal Brompton Hospital. She is an expert in cardiology and intensive care medicine. Her main areas of expertise are:
- critical care cardiology, including extracorporeal support and adult congenital heart disease
- echocardiography for valvular heart disease
- intensive care peri-procedural transoesophageal echocardiogram (TOE), including transcatheter valves (TAVI and MitraClip), GUCH intervention, and perioperative TOE
- assessment and management of critically ill cardiothoracic patients – particularly in relation to acute GUCH, cardiogenic shock, and severe acute valvular disease
- transoesophageal echocardiography for cardiac surgery, including GUCH, extracorporeal support and all aspects of perioperative, periprocedural and critical care echocardiography.
Professor Susanna Price is professor of practice in cardiology and intensive care, and an honorary senior lecturer at the National Heart and Lung Institute, Imperial College London.
Professor Susanna Price has authored numerous papers and book chapters ranging from basic echocardiography to adult congenital heart disease in critical care, and lectures worldwide.
She is an associate editor of the European Heart Journal of Acute Cardiovascular Care, and an invited reviewer for a number of other journals.
Professor Susanna Price sits on numerous committees, including chairing the education committee of the Acute Cardiovascular Care Association of the European Society of Cardiology.
She was a member of the task force for the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS) guidelines for the management of valvular heart disease.