Miss Sofina BegumMB ChB MSc FRCS(C-Th)
Miss Sofina Begum completed her medical degree in University of Leicester School of Medicine in 2004.
During that time she finished an intercalated BSc in Cardiovascular Science. She went on to complete her basic surgical training in London.
After this, she completed a Masters of Science in Surgical Science. She then went on to complete higher surgical training in Yorkshire – rotating between St James’s University Hospital in Leeds, the Northern General Hospital in Sheffield and Castle Hill Hospital (part of the Hull and East Yorkshire Hospitals NHS Trust) in Hull.
Her training included an extended period of training in uniportal minimally invasive surgery (keyhole) for lung cancer and lung volume reduction surgery.
She also trained in endobronchial procedures for airways disease and severe emphysema. Her training was completed in November 2016 and was appointed a consultant at the Royal Brompton Hospital in 2017.
Miss Sofina Begums clinical expertise includes:
- adult and paediatric thoracic surgery
- surgery for primary lung cancer including lobectomy and segmentectomy performed via a uniportal video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) approach.
- primary and metastatic chest sarcoma
- surgery for advanced emphysema
- surgery for pneumothoraces and pleural effusions
- surgery involving the mediastinum
- airway stenting
- primary and metastatic chest sarcoma.
Miss Sofina Begum’s research interests include lung volume reduction surgery, minimally invasive surgery for early-stage lung cancer and chest wall sarcomas.
She is currently overseeing the development of a web-based patient education platform.
- Society for Cardiothoracic Surgery of Great Britain and Ireland (SCTS)
- Royal College of Surgeons
- European Society of Thoracic Surgeons