Mr Balakrishnan Mahesh MBBS, MS, PhD, FRCS, FRCS [CTh]
Consultant cardiac and transplant surgeon
Mr Balakrishnan Mahesh is a consultant cardiac and transplant surgeon at Harefield Hospital.
Mr Mahesh obtained his medical degree and initial surgical training from India’s premier medical institution, the All India Institute of Medical Sciences in New Delhi. During his clinical training, he completed a research project on the treatment of vascular malformations.
He attained a Doctor of Philosophy (DPhil) at Imperial College London, for his research about the role of autoantibodies in mediating acute and chronic rejection in heart transplant recipients.
He completed his training as a cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital and Royal Papworth Hospital. He went on to specialise in heart and lung transplantation, and implantation of ventricular assist devices, at University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, USA.
Before returning to Harefield Hospital, Mr Mahesh was a consultant at the Golden Jubilee National Hospital in Glasgow, specialising in cardiac surgery and transplantation.
Mr Balakrishnan Mahesh’s experience at world-renowned hospitals has enabled him to broaden his expertise and amalgamate best practice. He is an expert in all major heart surgery, heart and lung transplantation, and the implantation of ventricular assist devices.
Mr Mahesh is particularly interested in:
- heart and lung transplantation
- cardiac assist devices
- coronary revascularisation with special emphasis on total arterial grafting
- minimally and tricuspid valve surgery, including repairs
- aortic root replacement
- minimally invasive aortic valve replacement
- arrhythmia surgery.
He performs key procedures such as:
- total arterial coronary revascularisation
- minimally invasive aortic valve surgery, by only partially splitting the breast bone
- aortic root surgery
- mitral valve repair surgery.
Mr Mahesh’s research interests include:
- the role of antibody mediated rejection in affecting outcomes following heart transplantation
- right ventricular function following heart transplantation
- implantation of left ventricular assist devices.
He has published widely and his work is available to view on PubMed.
Mr Balakrishnan Mahesh is interested in education and training, and he mentors others. He is an honorary senior clinical lecturer at Imperial College London and is a clinical tutor with the Royal College of Surgeons.
English, Hindi, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Urdu.