Mr Cesare QuartoMD PhD
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon
Mr Cesare Quarto trained as a cardiac surgeon at the University of Naples, Italy (Università degli Studi di Napoli Federico II), where he graduated with honours.
His qualifications include:
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), Aortic Disease, University of Naples
- Diploma, Cardiac Surgery, Honours, University of Naples
- Doctor of Medicine (MD), Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, Honours, University of Naples.
He worked at Monaldi Hospital (Ospedale Monaldi) in Italy before moving to London in 2007. Since then he has extended his experience in aortic and general cardiac surgery, working with world-renowned cardiac surgeons at Royal Brompton Hospital. He was appointed as a consultant at the Trust in April 2013.
Since June 2015, Mr Quarto and Mr Neil Moat have jointly won three international awards for presentations about their world-first transcatheter heart valve implantation to treat mitral regurgitation (a leaking mitral valve), for patients not suitable for open heart surgery.
Mr Cesare Quarto is a specialist in cardiac surgery, with experience in all areas, including some of the most complex aortic surgery.
His areas of expertise includes:
- surgery of the aortic root – including valve sparing
- surgery of the aortic arch
- surgery of the thoracic descending aorta
- coronary artery bypass surgery (on- and off-pump without manipulation of the ascending aorta and using composite arterial grafts)
- aortic valve reconstruction – the ‘Ozaki procedure’
- transcatheter aortic and mitral valve replacement (TAVI, TMVR).
Research and publications
Mr Cesare Quarto has published a significant number of research papers on:
- the histology of principal conduits used in coronary artery bypass
- arterial remodelling after surgical injury
- ascending aortic dilatation in association with the bicuspid aortic valve
- myocardial fibrosis associated with aortic stenosis, TAVI and TMVR.
Mr Quarto has an extensive list of his published papers on Pubmed.