Mr Shahzad RajaBSc MBBS MRCS FRCS(C-Th)
Consultant cardiac surgeon
Mr Shahzad Raja is a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
He qualified in medicine at King Edward Medical University in 1996. He then came to the UK to train in cardiothoracic surgery at Glasgow University Hospitals and Harefield Hospital. His sub-speciality interest was myocardial revascularisation and aortovascular surgery.
In 2012, he was appointed as a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital.
Mr Shahzad Raja is a general adult cardiac surgeon. He has specialist expertise in surgical myocardial revascularisation, aortic valve and aortovascular surgery.
His technical skills include:
- conventional coronary artery bypass grafting
- off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting
- total arterial myocardial revascularisation
- bilateral internal mammary artery grafting
- use of endoscopic vein harvesting
- minimal access aortic valve replacement
- sutureless aortic valve replacement
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI).
Mr Raja performs the highest number of coronary artery bypass surgery operations at the Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
Mr Shahzad Raja is the lead of the Harefield Cardiac Outcomes Research group. His programme of clinical research focuses on:
- benefits of arterial myocardial revascularisation
- benefits of off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting
- strategies to improve outcomes following surgical myocardial revascularisation
- strategies to improve universal adoption of bilateral internal mammary artery grafting.
He is also clinical investigator for the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (UK TAVI) trial. This is a multi-centre study to assess the clinical effectiveness and cost-utility of TAVI as an alternative to conventional surgical aortic valve replacement. The study looks at patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis who are intermediate or high operative risk.
Mr Raja is the author of more than 150 peer reviewed papers, review articles, editorials, abstracts and ten book chapters. He has edited several books for undergraduates as well as postgraduates.
Mr Raja is a sought-after national and international speaker. He has presented at all major national and international conferences.
He is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons and Diplomate of Intercollegiate Board in Cardiothoracic Surgery.
Mr Raja is also a member of the Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (SCTS), Society of Thoracic Surgeons, American Heart Association, and International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS).
English, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi