Mr Shahzad RajaBSc MBBS MRCS FRCS(C-Th)
Consultant cardiac surgeon
Mr Shahzad Raja is a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
He qualified in medicine at King Edward Medical University in 1996. He then came to the UK to train in cardiothoracic surgery at Glasgow University Hospitals and Harefield Hospital. His sub-speciality interest was myocardial revascularisation and aortovascular surgery.
In 2012, he was appointed as a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital.
Mr Shahzad Raja is a general adult cardiac surgeon. He has specialist expertise in surgical myocardial revascularisation, aortic valve and aortovascular surgery.
His technical skills include:
- coronary artery bypass grafting – both conventional and off-pump methods
- total arterial myocardial revascularisation
- bilateral internal mammary artery grafting
- use of endoscopic vein harvesting
- aortic valve replacement – both minimal access and sutureless (without stitches) methods
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- combined aortic valve surgery and coronary artery bypass grafting.
Mr Raja performs the highest number of coronary artery bypass surgery operations at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals. His patient outcomes are excellent: more information can be found on Mr Raja’s page on the SCTS website.
Mr Shahzad Raja is the lead of the Harefield cardiac outcomes research group. His programme of clinical research focuses on:
- benefits of arterial myocardial revascularisation
- benefits of off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting
- strategies to improve outcomes following surgical myocardial revascularisation
- strategies to improve universal adoption of bilateral internal mammary artery grafting.
He is also clinical investigator for the UK Transcatheter Aortic Valve Implantation (UK TAVI) trial. This is a multi-centre study to assess the clinical effectiveness and cost-utility of TAVI as an alternative to conventional surgical aortic valve replacement. The study looks at patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis who are intermediate or high operative risk.
Mr Raja is the author of more than 300 peer reviewed papers, review articles, editorials, abstracts and ten book chapters. He has edited several books for undergraduates as well as postgraduates.
Mr Raja is a sought-after national and international speaker. He has presented at all major national and international conferences.
Mr Raja is a fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons.
He is also a member of:
- Society of Cardiothoracic Surgeons of Great Britain & Ireland (SCTS),
- British Society of Thoracic Surgeons
- American Heart Association
- International Society of Minimally Invasive Cardiothoracic Surgery (ISMICS).
English, Urdu, Hindi, Punjabi