Mr Sunil K. Bhudia
Consultant Cardiac Surgeon
Mr Sunil Bhudia qualified in pharmacology with basic medical science at University College London (UCL) in 1994. He continued his medical training at UCL and in 1996 was awarded his Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery.
He specialised in cardiothoracic surgery in 2001 when he took up the post of research fellow in cardiothoracic surgery at the Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Ohio, USA, where he undertook research towards his thesis.
In 2004, he returned to the UK as a specialist registrar and in 2009 he became a consultant in cardiac surgery at University Hospital Coventry and Warwickshire NHS Trust.
Mr Bhudia joined Royal Brompton and Harefield Hospitals in 2016, working at Harefield Hospital as a consultant cardiac surgeon.
Mr Bhudia is a cardiac surgeon with specialist expertise in:
- reparative valvular surgery
- surgery of the major aorta
- total arterial revascularisation
- minimal access surgery
- atrial fibrillation surgery
- arrhythmia surgery.
Mr Bhudia’s research interests include:
- team working
- human factors
- cardiac modelling
- using new technologies such as virtual reality, mixed reality and augmented reality.
He has been co-investigator in phase II clinical trials investigating red blood cell washing and acute kidney injury in patients undergoing cardiac surgery.
He was the principal investigator in various studies funded by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) covering the effect of remote ischaemic preconditioning on clinical outcomes in patients undergoing coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG) and the impact of two blood transfusion threshold levels following cardiac surgery.
Mr Sunil Bhudia is an Honorary Associate Clinical Professor at Warwick Medical School at the University of Warwick. He has been the cardiovascular module leader for Warwick Medical School’s undergraduate course and in 2013 was appointed as the block leader for the heart, lung and blood block.
Additionally, he was an assigned educational supervisor and sat on the annual review of the Competence Progression Committee of West Midlands Cardiothoracic Surgery rotation. He is now an assigned educational supervisor at Harefield Hospital and sits on the London Committee.
He is involved in various training programmes, including:
- Specialist Advisory Committee member for Cardiothoracic Surgery Training
- Surgical Tutor for the Royal College of Surgeons of England
- Cardiac Clinical Tutor at the Society for Cardiothoracic Surgeons
- Educational Supervisor for Cardiothoracic Trainees at Harefield Hospital
- Faculty member of the Harefield Cardiothoracic Course
- Co-organiser of Cadaver Aorta Course
- Proctor for major aortic cases.
English, Gujarati, Swahili and Hindi