Mr Ulrich Rosendahl
Consultant cardiac surgeon
Mr Ulrich Rosendahl is a consultant cardiac surgeon based at Royal Brompton Hospital, who treats private and NHS patients.
He studied medicine at the University of Münster, Germany. In 1988, he started his training in heart surgery at Texas Heart Institute, USA, under Dr Denton Cooley, who was famous for performing the first implantation of a total artificial heart. He then trained in general and vascular surgery at the University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa.
Afterwards, Mr Rosendahl returned to heart surgery and was appointed a training post in heart surgery at the German Heart Centre in Berlin under Professor Roland Hetzer. Subsequently, he became co-founder and then senior consultant at the Heart Centre in Lahr, Germany.
In 2012, he was appointed as a consultant cardiac surgeon at Royal Brompton Hospital, London.
Mr Ulrich Rosendahl is able to conduct high risk, complex heart operations. His specialist areas of expertise include:
- surgical repair of the aorta, aortic arch, thoracic-aorta, and aortic root
- heart valve surgery:
- aortic, mitral and tricuspid valve repair
- valve sparing aortic root replacement (the ‘David’ procedure)
- reconstructive surgery of the aortic valve (the ‘Yacoub’ procedure)
- pulmonary autograft (the ‘Ross’ procedure)
- complex reoperations of the heart and aorta
- coronary artery bypass grafting (CABG)
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- personalised aortic root support (PEARS) – exostent procedure
- heart surgery in patients with Marfan’s syndrome, Loeys-Dietz syndrome, Elhers-Danlos type IV, and other connective tissue disorders
- treatment for endocarditis
- ablation for atrial fibrillation.
During his 30-year career in heart surgery, Mr Rosendahl has performed over 5,000 open heart operations. Moreover, he has supervised and observed the clinical course of many more thousands of patients who underwent heart operations.
Mr Rosendahl also offers minimally invasive heart surgery.
Alongside his clinical commitments, Mr Rosendahl holds a substantive research post in the National Institute of Health Research biomedical research unit.
He has published more than 100 research findings.
Mr Ulrich Rosendahl is an honorary senior lecturer at Imperial College London.
English, German, French
Valerie, from Shropshire, came to Royal Brompton following a two year struggle with breathing difficulties. Read her story of how she finally got diagnosed.
Read More >>