Professor Athol Wells
Consultant, Respiratory Medicine
Professor Athol Wells is a consultant in respiratory medicine who treats private and NHS patients at Royal Brompton Hospital.
Professor Wells trained in New Zealand at Green Lane Hospital, Auckland before starting post-graduate studies at Royal Brompton Hospital in 1989.
Professor Athol Wells specialises in diffuse lung disease, his areas of expertise include:
- lung fibrosis
- associated autoimmune disorders
- idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis
- other lung scarring disorders
- all forms of sarcoidosis.
Professor Athol Wells has particular research interests in:
- prognostic evaluation in diffuse lung disease using HRCT and pulmonary function tests
- the definition of relationships between structure and function in diffuse lung disease
- the definition of disease type and severity in genetic an laboratory studies
- studies of new therapies in diffuse lung disease.
Professor Wells also chairs the British Thoracic Society group revising guidelines in diffuse lung disease.
He sits on the American Thoracic Society – European Respiratory Society group revising guidelines in idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis, as well as other joint groups involved in the definition of non-specific interstitial pneumonia, smoking-related diffuse lung disease and acute exacerbations of idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.
Professor Athol Wells sits on advisory boards for the American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine and Thorax and is the principal editor or co-editor of three books.
Professor Athol Wells speaks around the world at major conferences, including the American Thoracic Society and European Respiratory Society.
- British Thoracic Society
- European Respiratory Society
- American Thoracic Society