How to be referred

There are many ways to be referred to Royal Brompton and Harefield Specialist Care:

  • You can contact the hospital directly as a self referrer to be seen or admitted by one of our consultants.  In this case, we would require a brief medical history – preferably by a treating physician – including any relevant test results.
  • Alternatively, your doctor or treating hospital can refer you directly to one of our consultants or to a member of the Private Patient team who will then put you in touch with the most appropriate Consultant.

Once a Consultant has agreed to accept a private patient, a letter of invitation will be sent. This will give details of the appointment / admission and indicate the deposit required if the patient is to be self funding

Referral Options

Self pay

Self paying patients typically follow one of the processes detailed above.  We ask that you provide us with details of your problem or condition, together with relevant details from your medical history, so that we can liaise with the appropriate consultant regarding your treatment plan and provide an accurate quotation.


Patients from overseas also have the option of being referred by their embassy. Some Embassies will sponsor treatment, but this must be agreed prior to arrival in the UK. The Embassy will then provide a Letter of Guarantee to cover the treatment fees.   Please note we rarely accept overseas medical insurers.

Private medical insurance

Patients covered by private medical insurance will need to check that their insurer has an agreement with Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Foundation Trust and that we feature on their list of accepted providers. You should also check that the consultant to whom you have been referred is accepted by your insurer. Finally, you should review your policy to ensure it has no exclusions such as a six week rule.