At Harefield Hospital, there are beautiful new inpatient and outpatient facilities for private patients, with access to some of the most advanced diagnostic equipment and medical devices in the world.
Harefield Hospital offers specialist expertise at an ideal location.
It is one of the largest and most experienced centres in the world for cardiac surgery and cardiology. It is renowned for its work in heart and lung transplantation, with eminent consultant cardiothoracic surgeon Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub playing a major part in this.
Recently, consultants have pioneered the use of ‘artificial hearts’ - left ventricular assist devices. The hospital has the largest number of LVAD patients in the UK, many of whom are demonstrating the highest rate of myocardial recovery in the world.
In addition, Harefield Hospital is a pioneer in the field of minimally invasive surgery. This can allow some patients to undergo surgery through a small incision, rather than a median sternotomy.
RB&HH Specialist Care is the private arm of Royal Brompton and Harefield NHS Hospitals. All of the nursing staff are specifically trained in caring for patients with heart and lung illnesses.
Our outpatients and diagnostic testing service at Harefield Hospital is open from Monday to Friday, 8:30am to 6pm.
To make life easier for you, we can schedule consultations and multiple tests on the same day, at the same location. Speak to our friendly customer services team who can give more advice.
New facilities for private patients
Now available at Harefield Hospital are new facilities for private patients. Superb private outpatient consulting rooms and state-of-the-art diagnostic suites are set in relaxing and comfortable surroundings.
The rapid diagnostic service ensures that patients are on the best treatment pathway as soon as possible. In particular, patients benefit from new testing and scanning facilities such as echocardiogram and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
Private inpatients stay on the new private ward, Juniper Ward. On offer are 16 bright and spacious single occupancy rooms.
Juniper Ward has its own dedicated high dependency unit (HDU) which is equipped to intensive care standards. Following surgery, angioplasty or another complex procedure, patients might need to spend time in the unit. Staff at the HDU carefully monitor patients’ health using sophisticated cardiac monitoring facilities. The high dependency beds each have a telephone and television. As soon as a patient’s condition is stable, they can return to their private room.
High-quality care on Juniper Ward
Each room on the private adult ward is single occupancy with an en-suite shower room, television, fridge and telephone. Daily newspapers are available in the patient lounge.
The south-facing location gives the private rooms a pleasant amount of natural light, which can be easily tailored to the patient’s preference using the electric blinds.
On the ward, the private patients' chef offers a wide choice of cuisine. Patients select their meals from an a la carte menu which caters for various dietary requirements including Halal, Kosher, diabetic, weight-reducing, soft, healthy eating and vegetarian diets.
A historic hospital
Did you know...?
- Harefield Hospital was established during the First World War to treat injured soldiers from Australia and New Zealand.
- In the 1930s, the fresh air and green space provided an ideal environment for treating tuberculosis and the hospital started to grow its expertise in lung conditions.
- After joining the NHS in 1948, Harefield first became a general hospital and then a specialist heart and lung centre.
- Professor Sir Magdi Yacoub set the direction of the hospital during the last decades of the 20th century. He performed Harefield’s first heart transplant in 1980 and carried out the world’s first combined heart and lung transplant at the hospital in 1983.
- Now, Harefield Hospital is one of the leading specialist heart and lung hospitals in the world and one of the largest transplant centres. Our staff are at the forefront of exciting research into heart and lung disease.
If you have an enquiry or would like to make an appointment at Harefield Hospital, please contact us.