Mr Shahzad Raja is a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital, where he treats private and NHS patients.
He qualified in medicine at King Edward Medical University, Pakistan, in 1996. He then came to the UK to train in cardiothoracic surgery at Glasgow University Hospitals and Harefield Hospital. His sub-speciality interest was myocardial revascularisation and aortovascular surgery.
In 2012, he was appointed as a consultant cardiac surgeon at Harefield Hospital.
Mr Shahzad Raja is a general adult cardiac surgeon. He has specialist expertise in surgical myocardial revascularisation, aortic valve and aortovascular surgery.
His technical skills include:
- coronary artery bypass grafting - both conventional and off-pump methods
- total arterial myocardial revascularisation
- bilateral internal mammary artery grafting
- use of endoscopic vein harvesting
- aortic valve replacement - both minimal access and sutureless (without stitches) methods
- transcatheter aortic valve implantation (TAVI)
- combined aortic valve surgery and coronary artery bypass grafting.
Mr Raja performs the highest number of coronary artery bypass surgery operations at Royal Brompton and Harefield hospitals.
Mr Shahzad Raja leads the Harefield Cardiac Outcomes Research group.
His clinical research focuses on:
- benefits of arterial myocardial revascularisation
- benefits of off-pump coronary artery bypass grafting
- strategies to improve outcomes following surgical myocardial revascularisation
- strategies to improve universal adoption of bilateral internal mammary artery grafting.
He is also clinical investigator for the UK transcatheter aortic valve implantation (UK TAVI) trial. This is a multi-centre study to assess the clinical effectiveness and cost-utility of TAVI as an alternative to conventional surgical aortic valve replacement. The study looks at patients with severe symptomatic aortic stenosis who are intermediate or high operative risk.
Mr Raja is the author of more than 300 peer reviewed papers, review articles, editorials, abstracts and ten book chapters. He has edited several books for undergraduates as well as postgraduates.